As building supplies and labor costs increase so does the cost of repairing or rebuilding a home. In turn, this is also causing homeowners premiums to increase. With this in mind I thought we would list some ways you may be able to save on your homeowners insurance premium. We have also included a short video.
- Bundling your homeowners insurance along with your auto insurance and/or life insurance can save up to 30%.
- Discounts are often given for being a member of an association. Be sure to ask your agent if there is a discount available for any association that you are involved with.
- Improving security in your home will give you peace of mind, and it may also get you a discount on your homeowners insurance. Be sure to check with you agent to see if you can get a discount for any home security system that you may have.
- Minimize your losses. The biggest factor in your homeowners insurance rates is your loss history. Some losses cannot be avoided but take a look around your home to see if there is anything that you can do to reduce the risk of a loss.
- Raising your deductible can significantly decrease your premium. Raising your deductible from $500 to $1,000 could save you as much as 25% on your premium.
- Utilize an independent agent. Have you local independent agent check the rates with other carriers ever 2 or 3 years. This will help you to make sure that you are getting the best deal that you can on your home.